Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Swatches




Trying to choose a good background for this blog. I first tried the popular background that you see to your left, but found that spread over the entire screen, it produced a lot of eyestrain, and spotlighted every speck of dirt on the screen.



The cleanest image left me with the dirtiest look, so I tried a dirtier image, because dust does love monitors.





That's a lot of dirt, I thought. A little too much, I found, and not just because the image was larger. That much color and speckling was distracting.






Maybe something a little grayer? I tried the next, and found that the system was now fighting me, noting with very mild amusement that the graphic had been called "rough paper".





I guess so - I had to go into "edit html" to move it to where I wanted it to be, and again to get this text to its right instead of above it. This file was messing me up.





The page seemed to have a love hate thing going with it, though - it looked nice, but the text was a little lost in the texture. Setting the text to all bold, I ended up with a look that I didn't find completely satisfactory, but better, and not a clone of other pages that I had done. It needs work - all bold might weary the eyes in a long post - but this will do, for now.

It's late and I want to eat.